Subscribe to the BoF Podcast here.
Ian Rogers moved from Silicon Valley to Paris in 2015 when he was appointed chief digital officer of LVMH. There, Rogers, a veteran of Apple Audio and Beats, was tasked with creating out the luxury conglomerate’s e-commerce and knowledge strategy and serving as a digital whisperer to executives.
Now, he’s main expertise officer of Ledger, a protection system that presents protection for electronic currencies. Supplied his experience at the cutting edge of both equally tech and style, he is uniquely positioned to talk to the possibilities being created as crypto systems, gaming and trend converge. In his intellect, a single day, digital fashion will be ubiquitous.
“It’s inescapable. It’s a generational shift. I search at my 14-calendar year-old and she has spent the last yr and a half dwelling in a metaverse. Her school is on Zoom. She hangs out with her friends on the net … Obtaining a digital selection is wholly organic,” he said. “Why would I want a assortment of stuff that no a person can see when I can have a selection of electronic stuff that everyone can see?”
His insights had been initially highlighted in the fourth episode of The BoF Clearly show, “Dematerialisation: Why the Metaverse Is Fashion’s Upcoming Goldmine,” streaming on Bloomberg Quicktake.
- Rogers’ history in the new music industry has helped inform the way he perceives’ luxury’s require to consider manage of electronic channels. Document labels missing out major on recorded songs due to the fact they had been in denial of consumers’ need to pay attention to music on line.
- Owning items that are equally digital and bodily, or, “phygital” is the gateway to the existence of purely digital goods. In buy for virtual products to have true worth and meaning, there want to be marketplaces and venues for working with them.
- People today have a need to obtain matters. With the increase of NFTs, there is a way to produce shortage digitally — which offers manner brands an prospect to create digital products dependent on the rules and hoopla and rarity that travel the marketplace nowadays.
- The greatest misconception people have is that there is a distinction concerning the physical and electronic worlds, in accordance to Rogers. The blurring of realities in the metaverse will finally transform our perceptions of what is true — and precious.
- Most know-how bordering digital goods, NFTs, crypto and the metaverse is continue to nascent, and storytelling about its possible has been forward of fact.